Would you like to be a youth environment leader? Have a meaningful and fulfilling green job in the future? Lead an impactful and nation wide green campaign? Or learn more about the environment?
The 3 Days 2 Nights YEL program aims to educate and build a network of youth who will become leaders and positive changemakers towards environment ownership and sustainability. A structured and formal environment leadership program taught by experienced international award-winning environmental lecturers, environmentalists and experienced local Ibans. Graduates from the program are challenged to initiate and implement meaningful projects that will contribute towards Brunei’s environmental sustainability.
The YEL program is a highly selective environment leadership program with a limited class size of 50 students per intake.
18th to 20th March 2013 (Intake 1)
21st to 23rd March 2013 (Intake 2)
Venue:The Rainforest School @ Sumbiling Eco-village, Temburong.
This trip will take place at Sumbiling Eco-Village, an eco-resort right at the edge of the Temburong rainforest.
Who Is Right for the Program:
We are highly selective in our participants for this program due to exclusivity and an equal mix.
Typically, we look for youth applicants:
- Between 16-25 years old
- Studying or living in Borneo
- Strong involvement in schools co-curricular activities
- Committed, motivated and passionate about nature or the environment
- Strong leadership potential
- Possess good written & oral English skills
Program participants will pick up the following:
- Community Leadership skills
- Acquire a strong grasp of environmental knowledge & the sustainable development process
- Gain greater understanding on approaches towards integrating diverse multi-stakeholders into a cohesive plan for sustainable development;
- Gaining skill sets on starting & running impactful environment campaigns
- Fostering cooperation among different youths
- Resource & Waste management
- Identifying local & native plants
- Energy & Water Conservation
- Sustainable development latest innovations & trends
Program participants will benefit from the following:
- Receive fun and engaging lessons on environmental education from experienced international award-winning environmental lecturers, environmentalists and experienced local Ibans.
- Program graduates have the opportunity to attend workshops with leading experts in the field of sustainability
- Platform to coordinate environmental efforts and projects
- Go on environmental learning field trips in Temburong led by local experts
- Network with other environmental leaders who can work together with you to make the environment better and more sustainable
- Develop relevant skills in project management, networking, public speaking and event management
- Program graduates take up leadership opportunities to contribute towards the betterment of the environment and benefit to the community
- Program graduates have the opportunities to work with Green Brunei on environment national campaigns, events or projects
- Program graduates have the opportunities to represent Brunei in international environment-related forums / conferences through Green Brunei
- Share ideas and environmental practices with your peers out in the open classroom – you can’t be any closer to nature
- Skills learnt in the camp will be relevant and applicable to in the urban context.
- Be inspired and learn to understand and appreciate nature
- Learn about the Bruneian historical villages and visit the famous longhouses
- Perfect opportunity to develop existing leadership skills in every participant through meaningful team bonding activities.
- Suitable to fulfill criteria for Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award on Residential Project or Adventurous Journey section
Fees includes 3D2N accommodation; activities cost, lesson materials, all meals, and 2-way transport and ferry service from Kianggeh Jetty to SEV and Temburong.
How to join the program:
Application deadline: 7th March 2013
Fill up the attached the application form below and emailed it to firstname.lastname@example.org
(i) Application form for individual applicants: click here.
(ii) Application form for multiple applicants (For teachers/schools): click here.
Successful applicants will be notified via email within 2-3 working days.
Do check out our FAQ.
Do not hesitate to approach us with your questions and enquiries.
For any enquiries contact email@example.com with your questions!
1. About the Rainforest School
Located at the pristine Sumbling Eco-village in Temburong, which is 20 minutes drive from Temburong’s ferry terminal, the Rainforest School is jointly managed by Green Brunei & Borneo Guide. The Rainforest School hopes to educate and groom young environmental leaders through hands-on quality environment education, while studying in one of Southeast-Asia’s last primary rainforest. The school is managed together by environmentalist and local Ibans.
2. About BorneoGuide
BorneoGuide is an accredited travel agency in Brunei that has had years of experience providing the safest and most enjoyable experiences for youth development programs, international school camps, exchange student groups from the region, and team building groups from various corporates and Bruneian students.
BorneoGuide also has rave reviews from visiting eco-tourists from popular travel websites such as Lonely Planet and Trip Advisor.
You are assured to have 24 hours security rotation by staff, both trained male and female qualified first aid staff during the entire course of the event as well as ratio of one staff to five participants at all times.
3. About Green Brunei
Green Brunei is Brunei’s largest green non-profit organisation that promotes environmental education and creates awareness on environmental conservation and clean technology through media, activities and projects. Green Brunei hopes to be a platform for free green educational, green resources and an enabler of youth-initiated environment projects. We work closely within a 3P partnership (People, Public, and Private) sectors to promote and inculcate environmental conservation in Brunei. Green Brunei is supported by the Ministry of Industries & Primary Resources, Heart of Borneo and the Tourism Department
4. What are the highlights of the camp?
You can expect both educational indoor and outdoor classes and activities. Education at its finest – GB YEL is expected to be an experiential leadership course suitable for everyone interested in environmental conservation. Learn about the different aspects of environmental conservation – how to practise composting, how rich exactly is the biodiversity of the area, 3R concepts, nature conservation practices, as well as hands-on activities such as cooking your own bamboo chicken in the heart of the forest!
5. How long is the camp?
3 Days and 2 Nights
6. Where would I be staying?
Accommodation: the explorer style. Participants will be staying in the below tents with ready access to lavatories and bathing facilities. This compound is a minute’s walk away from the rainforest, yet safe within Sumbiling Eco Village Compounds. Almost every morning, you are promised to wake up to the calls of hornbills – a luxury for many urban dwellers today.
7. Will meals be provided? How many meals, if so?All 3 meals will be provided, breakfast, lunch & dinner
8. What will I get from thecourse?
You will receive…
i. GB YEL alumni membership, which will give you the latest updates and international youth conferences opportunities, both locally and internationally!
ii. A graduating certificate recognizing your green efforts
iii. A limited edition of the GB YEL badge
9. Who are the course faculties?
The Rainforest School is run by a highly-experienced team with strong expertise from various sectors of the environment industry, driven with a single goal to improve the quality of environment education.
Leslie smiling heartily, on the left.
Leslie Chiang, The Principal of Rainforest School Expertise: Green campaigner, eco-tourism guide, social entrepreneurship
Leslie is a firm believer of edu-tourism, and perhaps this can be said to be the cornerstone of his work and businesses. He makes it a conscious effort to employ locals in his businesses to help further the social cause he believes in. The sweet perk from this would be the familiarity and personal experiences these locals are armed with; it is what that is set to make the guest’s escapade into the primary forests of Temburong with them, complete.
Armed with the love for the environment, Leslie welcomes people from all over the world yearly, with these people usually being the ones who already have an intrinsic appreciation for nature and are simply looking out for a unique experience like no other. His tours are customizable with team building activities and private tours, all tailored to meet the needs of schools, working professionals, families and individuals.
Mark Cheng Expertise: Waste management, REDD+ & Forestry, green buildings, green innovation, bio-mimicry
An environmentalist and a social entrepreneur, Mark is currently CEO of Green Prints, an award-winning environment social enterprise. He also co-manages a green investment fund for environment innovation and bio-mimicry projects in Asia. Previously, he was the co-founder of Avelife, one of the largest social-environment movements in Asia. He has helped raise more than USD$100 million for various social causes, consulted for the governments, non-profits and companies in France, Philippines, Korea, Taiwan, Indonesia, Mexico, UK & Singapore. He regularly speaks and researches on starting impactful green social enterprises, environmental education, green innovation. He is also a best-selling author on youth community leadership and has several publications on environment education.
Named by ABC Carbon magazine as Top 100 Global Sustain Ability Leaders in 2012 and he was awarded the 2011 JCI Ten Outstanding Young Persons of the World, Eco-friend Award 2011, Bayer Young Environmental Envoy 2012. Mark read non-profit leadership under a Harvard Fellowship in Harvard Kennedy School and is currently completing his executive business studies at Harvard Business School.
Amanda is currently the Editor-in-Chief of Green Brunei. Amanda completing her studies at National University of Singapore and has been selected as the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU) Campus Sustainability Fellow in the year 2011. She was sent to University of Copenhagen (KU) to embark on campus sustainability projects, playing an instrumental role in the exchange of sustainable practices between her home university and KU. In her free time, she spearheads many projects with large social impacts, such as Green Exchanges that have proven to be popular with and helpful to the underprivileged people with Avelife, one of Asia’s largest social-environment charity based in Singapore as Projects Head. She also actively represents the Singapore youth delegation to high-profile international conferences such as UN Climate Change Conferences (Conference of Parties). Amanda is also a Youth Environment Envoy (YEE) of National Environment Agency (NEA) of Singapore and a NEA Corporate Environment Champion.
Jasmine Soo Expertise: Green Campaigns, sustainable development latest innovations & trends, impactful green events, international green summits
Jasmine is currently the Deputy Editor of Green Brunei. She perceives sustainability as a human right, harmonious coexistence with the environment as our responsibility, and the climate and environmental crisis as an opportunity. Apart from being actively involved in local environmental initiatives, she also follows international climate negotiations, particularly the UNFCCC process. She hopes to sharpen her analytical acumen through gaining knowledge and skills in engineering, and is eager to learn about how advancement in engineering drives green tech and low-carbon energy options. She possesses enthusiasm in entrepreneurship, music, literature, culture, and economics. She continues to live life, love life, and explore life.
Jody Liu Expertise: Composting, Water conservation, Green Marketing
A firm campaigner of various environmental causes, she was one of the key member of Avelife, one of the largest social-environment movements in Asia. A beauty queen with a green heart, she was Miss Earth Air 2010, and has been inspiring youths to do their part for the environment and have conducted talks and workshops for schools, government agencies and non-profits. Jody has also represented Singapore in the East Asian Seas Congress Youth Forum in Republic of Korea that seeks to address Oceanic and Coastal Environmental Issues. Jody read management and marketing at Curtin University. Jody hopes to inspire and guide all to do their part for the environment and believes that “even baby steps take us somewhere”.
*Disclaimer: GB reserves the rights to postpone/cancel the program unforeseen circumstances. A full refund will be made.